Sunday, September 18, 2011

William Wilberforce



Yesterday we went out with Jo and Jessie to William Wilberforce's house (ok, it was after a going to a cool, interactive museum for an hour and a half and I thought that they owed me to have a quick look around a rather boring house for 10 minutes, to be honest, it was the least they could do).

I forgot to mention William Wilberforce in my list of famous Hull people in my 'It's Never Dull in Hull' blog. How could I forget? William Wilberforce was very cool.

Will was born in Hull in 1759 and later moved to London and became an MP and was unrelentless in his pursuit to abolish slavery. He headed the parliamentary campaign against the British slave trade for twenty-six years until the passage of the Slave Trade Act 1807.

In later years, Wilberforce supported the campaign for the complete abolition of slavery, that campaign led to the Slavery Abolition Act 1833, which abolished slavery in most of the British Empire. Wilberforce died just three days after hearing that the passage of the Act through Parliament was assured.

If you are interested in finding out more, in a more exciting but probably less historically accurate way, you could also watch 'Amazing Grace' movie with Ioan Gruffudd.

Love
Est xxx

PS. You may have already guessed that the picci is William Wilberforce's staircase. I do so love a good staircase. Thought I would post something you can't find on Wikipedia;)

No comments:

Post a Comment