Thursday, September 1, 2011

It's never dull in Hull



Errrr.....?

For those not familiar with East Yorkshire, this is the Humber Bridge (photo again cunningly taken through car windscreen and this time timed between windscreen wiper swipes whilst trying not to crash, that is commitment for you!).

When the Humber Bridge was opened in 1981, it was the longest single span bridge in the world. Now for those of you who don't know what a single span bridge is, don't ask me, I have absolutely no idea. It is just something I was told when I was at school and it stuck in my head, not many things did, so I hope it is a fact.

The Humber Bridge crosses the river Humber into 'Kingston Upon Hull' which is the posh name for Hull, which is where I was born.

Other famous people from Hull include Maureen Lipman (Actress and comedienne, possibly only known in Hull actually), Roland Gift from the 'Fine Young Cannibals' (saw him in a pub once), Amy Johnson (Female aviator, first woman to fly solo from Britain to Australia - 1930) The Housemartins ('Caravan of Love', 'Happy Hour', you will know them) and The Beautiful South ('Song for Whoever' is my favourite).

See, isn't Hull exciting!!!

I love you all from the bottom of my pencil case.

Est xxx

PS. Heading up to Durham tomorrow and then on to Edinburgh on Friday for a wedding on Saturday. More driving, lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment